Re: RE: Medical training war stories -Reply

>In radiation protection I prefer those people who shield alphas with lead
>over those who shield gammas with paper.
>
>Franz

We had an OSHA inspector who was very distraught over a lock cylinder that was removed from the treatment room door of our older therapy machines. (We'd had a case of a patient inadvertently getting locked in.)

When told that the only significant radiation at the door was Neutrons, he replied that we should "Fill that hole with lead. That will stop all the Neutrons."

Faced with the choice of

a) Trying to educate a totally radiation ignorant bureaucrat
or
b)Performing some entirely useless shielding,

we adopted the path of least resistance and "filled that hole with lead."