RE: Uranium Enrichment

This seems to crop up every few months.

	>Try DOE publication EGG-2530, "Health Physics Manual of Good
Practices for Uranium Facilities" dated June 1988.   >Section 3 has good
narratives and flow diagrams on gaseous diffusion.

	The reference below says the equation in this report  '...is widely
used, including being referenced in [NRC] regulations."  However, later it
says "...no equation was provided to calculate the activity percentages and
no data was provided that could be used to fit such an equation.
Furthermore, the sources of data used to develop the relationships and the
specific activity equation were not referenced such that the data could be
retrieved."

> I am trying to find a good text on Uranium enrichment. In particular, I am
> interested in older gas diffusion systems and am most interested in the
> contaminant carryover (U-234 activity per percent U-235 enrichment, how
> this
> differed at various facilities/processes)

	Have a look at:

	Rucker TL and Johnson Jr CM (1998), "Relationship between isotopic
uranium activities and total uranium at various uranium enrichments",
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry vol 235 (1-2) 47-52.

	This gives several fitted equations to calculate U-234 activity and
total activity etc from various measured parameters.

	>>> What other contaminants could be
> expected and what are their sources, expected concentrations, etc?  Is
> there
> a production facility 'signature' that could be reliably seen in this? Any
> advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

	I asked a very similar question to this over a year ago.  Have a
search in the RADSAFE  archives as it generated quite a bit of comment at
the time :)

	Regards

	keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk

	END