Re: Testimony of Steve Wing to US House of Representatives

At 10:06 AM 7/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Tom, Group,
>
>Tom is right. But there is a study of effects of in utero x-rays that were NOT
>given for medical indications.  In Chicago?, routine x-rays of mothers, late
>'40s-early '50?  Only about 1000 cases?  Paper late '70s or '80s?  If anyone
>knows the study, please reference it.  If anyone is interested, I'll try to
>find it in my files.
>
>By the way, no excess health effects reported, but not very clear
>results/conclusions in a very large paper.
>
>Regards, Jim
>muckerheide@mediaone.net
>Radiation, Science, and Health

Oppenheim BE, Griem ML, and Meir P
Effects of low dose prenatal irradiation in humans:  analysis of Chicago
lying-in data and comparison with other studies,

Radiat Res 1974; 57: 508-544.

I imagine this is the study  of interest.

Follow up (prospective)  study on 1000 first born infants whose mothers
were subjected to routine x-ray pelvimetry .    the program commenced in 1948.

estimated mean fetal dose  is given as 700 mrad.  Technical details are
provided as an appendix.

The bottom line:  No conclusive evidence of a radiation effect was found.

Ivor Surveyor  [isurveyor@vianet.net.au]