Md. Man Files $800M Cell Phone Suit

Note: The statistics that refute this allegation must be extensive.
The percentage of individuals who use a cellular phone worldwide,
on an on-going basis, is staggering. The resolution of this suit, as
well as many more that will be filed, will be interesting.

We live in an era where illness must have a source, and that
source "has" to be negligent, where somebody will be asked to pay
a substantial sum of $$$. I suppose we're asked to ignore the fact
that there were illnesses, and cancers and death way before all of
these new technologies cam along.....

Md. Man Files $800M Cell Phone Suit

BALTIMORE (AP) - A Maryland man filed an $800 million lawsuit
against a cell phone maker and a telecommunications company,
claiming years of using the wireless devices caused his brain
cancer.

Dr. Chris Newman, 41, of Jarrettsville, Md., brought the suit against
Motorola Inc. and Verizon Communications on Tuesday in
Baltimore City Circuit Court.

The federal Food and Drug Administration has said there is no
evidence that radiation from cellular telephones poses a health risk.
However, the FDA has also said there is no proof that cell phones
are risk-free.

The malignant tumor was discovered in March 1998 behind
Newman's right ear. Newman's attorney, Joanne Suder, said her
client, a neurologist, used wireless phones at least several times a
day between 1992 and 1998.

``Because of the nature of his work he had to be in touch with
patients on a minute-to-minute basis,'' Suder said.

The suit seeks $100 million in compensatory damages and $700
million in punitive damages.

Concerns that cellular phones may cause cancer or other health
problems have grown over the past few years. In June, the FDA
announced a partnership with the phone industry under which
about $1 million in studies on the issue would be conducted.

A trade group for the wireless industry introduced a new policy last
month requiring cell phone makers to disclose information on
radiation levels produced by their phones.

More than 90 million American now have cell phones, most of
whom began using them in the past five years.

Norman Sandler, a spokesman for Schaumburg, Ill.-based
Motorola, said company officials had not seen the suit and could
not comment. However, similar lawsuits over the past few years all
have been withdrawn by the plaintiffs or dismissed by the courts,
Sandler said.

``We have maintained for years that such assertions are
groundless,'' Sandler said.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205