Re: loosing, Tooth Fairy Project

Aug. 4

	On Aug. 4 Ruth Weiner wrote:

<<<<<
I read this "eye-opener," and it certainly didn't tell me anything I haven't
heard many many times from people who are trying to tell me how to
communicate with the public.  You know: talk in plain language, etc.  The
problem is not, I insist, communication.  When the word "sesquipedelian"
appears in the morning newspaper comic strips (Nine Chickweed Lane, Albuq.
Journal, Aug.3, 2000), and when I can find "rem," "becquerel," etc. in
Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, I don't think there is a problem with
language as such.  The antinukes' insistence that scientists don't know how
to talk to "the public" is a cover story for the firm anti-nuclear stance
that they are not going to believe anything they don't want to believe, not
going to be rational if they don't feel like it, not going to engage in
reasoned discussion, not going to admit anything, and it's all under the
guise of "if you only knew how to talk to us everything would be OK, but you
don't, so keep on trying."

	Well said, Ruth.  You have vigorously contacted the metallic fastening
device upon its proverbial cranium.

	It cannot be said often enough:  the anti-nukers have a political agenda.
All the talking in the world will do nothing to disabuse them of the belief
that radiation in any quantity whatsoever is harmful.  This battle must be
fought at the ballot box.

Steven Dapra
sjd@swcp.com