Re: Swedish TV site about Chernobyl children

Bjorn Cedervall wrote:

> The Swedish public TV service has a somewhat strange domestic news text
> today ( www.svt.se  see text TV section, page 115) about Chernobyl children
> who will spend three weeks in Sweden (the original is given below - directly
> copy-pasted). Essentially the text reads:
>
> "60 children from Chernobyl for a visit
>
> Today an airplane with 60 radiation injured children from the Chernobyl area
> landed in Skellefteå (//town in northern Sweden//). The children are in the
> age group 7 to 13 years old..."
>
> "Many of the children have cancer and come from bad living conditions... The
> arranging part is Hoppets Stjärna ("Star of the Hope")... After three weeks
> a new group of children will arrive...."
>
> Now - don't misunderstand me - this is about children. We all care about the
> health of children - and it is great giving malnutritioned children food.
> This a not the point. The point is about the age of the children and
> "radiation injured". What could reasonably be expected? Any comments?

This has happened here too.  One of the corporate churches* brought
a bunch in at the first of the summer to spend the summer in
Cleveland.  Of course the corporate church sponsors are hitting up
businesses in town to donate all sorts of stuff to these kids (have
to wonder when Cleveland ran out of deserving kids.....).  My
brother, a dentist, got suckered into giving a bunch of free dental
care to these "radiation victims".  When I pointed out to him that
these kids weren't even conceived when Chernobyl happened and that
unless these kids were offspring of the soldiers or firefighters who
survived the initial event, then there wasn't enough radiation dose
to their parents to harm these kids, he just said "Oh".

Yes, these kids have had hard lives and have poor health but the
cause is poverty due to communism and not Chernobyl.

John

(* since so many people lives their lives seeking out even the
slightest slight, I must clarify that I'm not criticizing anyone's
religion.  I'm criticizing the money-grubbing corporate churches and
their officialdom who infest this town.  They build themselves
multimillion office buildings, declare them to be churches to take
them off the tax rolls and then piously declare their charitable
intentions to the local media who lap it up.  makes me sick.)
--
John De Armond
johngdSPAMNOT@bellsouth.net