Re: Why study baby teeth?

At 15:45 09.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_023A_01C00221.B3652320
>
>HI,
>
>The link between strontium-90 from nuclear  reactor emissions and =
>childhood cancer presents  itself  as a realistic hypothesis  for study =
>in Toms River, NJ. =20
>
>A  cancer cluster in Toms River, recognized by the Federal Government is =
>located about 10 miles  from the  Oyster Creek Nuclear Generator in  =
>Forked River, NJ.=20
>=20
>The article covers   the May 3 public forum on the Tooth Fairy Project =
>at Ocean County College featuring Alec Baldwin and Christie Brinkley  to =
>the community.=20
>=20
>                        =
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>-----------
>  ASBURY PARK PRESS May 4, 2000
>Actor, model want research into radiation
>
>By ELEANOR O 'SULLIVAN-
>
>Staff Writer
>
>-DOVER TOWNSHIP --Hollywood and high fashion came to Ocean County =
>College
>
>last night for health and welfare reasons.
>
>Actor Alec Baldwin and super model Christic Brinkley, neighbors in the =
>Hamptons, Long Island, spoke at a public forum yesterday in support of =
>the 'Tooth Fairy Project," national program that collects and tests baby =
>teeth to determine the number of radioactive particles a mother ingested =
>and transferred to the baby's bones while pregnant.
>
>Baby teeth from Ocean County natives are included in the study, partly =
>due to the invest-igation of elevated levels of childhood cancer in =
>Dover, the presence of the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Lacey and =
>decommissioned Bomarc unclear Missile site in Plumsted.
>
>Both celebrities expressed dismay at what they see as governmental =
>unwillingness tostudy cancer clusters and the effect of radiation on =
>humans. They live near the closed Shoreham and Brookhaven nuclear power =
>plants in New York.
>
>    Baldwin urged the audience to lobby Gov. Whitman and legislators for =
>$75,000 in publicmoney to pay for the baby teeth research. He told the =

Edith,

I have earlier asked you to learn how to send messages to RADSAFE. You have
again sent something in a nearly unreadable form of at least 10 kB. Are you
really attempting to block RADSAFE (I asked this before)?

You are obviously stuck with your misconcepts and your wrong impressions.
You are not even able to recognize the fine humour and sarcasm of the
message you deliver to us - "Hollywood and high fashion came to ...",
"super model" (if it were a super model, everybody would know her and she
would not have to be addressed like that - I do not know her - and I do not
think that being a "super model" is enough to claim adverse affects of
anything, not to talk abóut Sr-90 in baby teeth. "Both celebrities ......"
for me this is a very negative, critical and negative association.

Finally it is just the question of money that somebody asks (sorry, a
super-model and an actor) from public fundings. For half of the 75 000 US $
(what an incredible sum!!!) I offer an independent study, including
hundreds of Sr-90 determinations certified by the most stringent European
Union criteria including the evaluation of the results. Maybe your actor
and your super-model will go with it? You might of course regard me as
biased, because I have already done Sr-90-research in Europe, that I know
about many studies conducted on that question (Sr-90 in teeth, Sr-90 in
antlers as a bioindicator through the last 50+ years).

Edith, I wait for an offer again, regarding that question of Sr-90 in
teeth. Maybe we could do it for one quarter of the 75 000 US$ mentioned,
just contact me on the details.

I do not expect your contact. I have before put offers to you on RADSAFE,
but you did not even react to it.

I refuse to be polite - you have put now such a number of
nonsense-contribution - including unintentional or intentional clottering
of the RADSAFE bandwith, that I would suggest once again that you finish
posting to RADSAFE (I have done this before, asking if you had nothing else
to contribute, that you quit posting). You have not answered a single
contribution of mine relating to the Tooth Fairy Project and I would be
more than surprised if you ever had consulted the RADSAFE archive on my
earlier contributions on the tooth fairy project clearly stating why it is
not scientific and does not observe the most simple rules of a scientific
research.

It seems to me that you are one of these persons who have been earlier
banned from RADSAFE, who wanted to use their contribution to occupy us and
to hinder us from serious exchange of opinions.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458