Re: Why study baby teeth?/// LOOK Deeper to!

Dear Norman and Karen,

    I am afraid that the Synergism card does not play.  About 14 years
ago I worked in that area and published some papers. With this theme
coming up again I will shortly publish a review of interactions between
toxic agents. I will demonstrate that the synergisms between two agents
for which we have data, largely depend on the properties of the risks
for each agent alone (marginal risks) and, for decreasing doses tend
toward zero much more quickly than the marginal risks.  At those
very low doses, the combination risk is approximately given by the
sum of the marginal risks
   My old publications on this subject are:

Seiler, F.A., "Analysis of Health or Systemic Effects Caused by
Two Toxicants," Environment International 13, 459-467, 1987.

Seiler, F. A., "Mixtures of Toxic Agents and the Risk of Health
Effects," in: Health and Environmental Research on Complex
Organic Mixtures, Proceedings of the 24th Hanford Life Science
Symposium, R.H. Gray et al., eds., CONF-851027, PNL,
Richland, WA, pp. 727-737, 1987.

Seiler, F. A., "Analysis of Health Effects Caused by Multiple
Insults," in: Risk Assessment and Management, L. B. Lave, ed.,
pp. 27-34, Plenum Press, New York, 1987.

I hope to send the review paper off to the journal "Human and
Ecological Risk Assessment"   **any day now!**

Best regards,

Fritz

--

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.