RE: What Should We Do With Plutonium Once Nuclear Weapons Are

First I must say this is my personal opinion and may not reflect that of others at my agency.  However, I work daily with DOE and contractor personnel, and I must totally agree with Al.  While I may not always agree with how they do things and certainly never agree with everything they do on a project, I certainly respect the vast majority of both the DOE and contractor personnel and I have always found them willing to listen to a point of view that may be different than their own regarding technical issues.

Dan Burnfield, CHP PE

Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board
625 Indiana Ave, NW Ste. 700
Washington, DC  20004

Tel:  202.694.7113
Fax: 202.208.6518
Email danb@dnfsb.gov

>>> "Conklin, Al" <Al.Conklin@doh.wa.gov> 08/11/00 12:36PM >>>
I regulate DOE (the Hanford office). I've worked for their contractors and
outside the system regulating them for 24 years, and I know them pretty
well. I don't always like how they choose to do business, and sometimes they
or their contractors make bad choices, not always intentionally. That's what
makes the news. On the other hand, (just speaking about Hanford), they
manage hundreds of projects with thousands of people. While some are bound
to screw up, and do, most are really good, honorable, hardworking people
trying to do very difficult jobs. While I can't automatically trust the
bureaucracy of the DOE system, I greatly respect the people, individually,
and as a whole, who work there, and the difficult jobs they do. When
criticizing, perspective is important.

Allen W. Conklin,Manager
Air Emissions & Defense Waste Section
Bldg 5 7171 Cleanwater St.
Department of Health
Olympia, WA 98504
phone: (360) 236-3261 fax: (360) 236-2256 pager: (360) 786-2975

"This message may be confidential. If you received it by mistake, please
notify the sender and delete the message. All messages to and from the
Department of Health may be disclosed to the public."