Re: What Should We Do With Plutonium Once Nuclear Weapons Are

The fact that DOE is fining and suing its contractors certainly indicates
that the agency is not colluding with them.  So whom should one mistrust:
DOE or the contractor being sued or fined? d like to know the outcome of
some of these lawsuits.  The fact that a lawsuit is filed means little --
the state of Nevada has filed a great many lawsuits around Yucca Mountain
and has lost most of them.

Moreover, I never argued either that "DOE and its contractors" were saints,
or that no contractor ever violated a safety procedure or got fined.  But I
would like to know what fraction of any kind of comparable activity the
violations you cite represent.  Let me make two analogies:

1.  Some years ago I served as an expert witness for a citizens' group suing
the Cedar Hills Landfill of the City of Seattle (nothing to do with
radiation -- this was municipal solid waste -- garbage).  We found that the
landfill had violations on 17 DAYS of a 20-YEAR operational history (and the
operation is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Those were not trivial
violations, but I privately thought that 17 days out of 20 years was a
pretty good record.  We (the citizens)  won, by the way, because a violation
is a violation, and the law does not allow any, but in retrospect I thought
the suit was frivolous.
2.  The health department of any major city (New York, Seattle, San
Francisco) routinely issues press releases giving the names of restaurants
that have been cited for health violations.  Does that mean that all
restaurants are suspect?  If a restaurant of a particular chain is cited, is
the entire chain suspect?  Does even the cited restaurant continue to be
suspect?  Moreover, in describing the situation, would I say "I wouldn't
dine out anywhere in [name of city] or at any [name of chain]?  No, I would
refer to the actual situation.

I do not question that contractors commit violations and that DOE fines them
(or sometimes doesn't) but before admitting (or committing) to a distrust of
ALL DOE and ALL contractors, I would want to know

1.  How many violations in how many person-years of operation of the
particular process.
2.  What exactly the violation was (and not from a newspaper or DOE press
release).
3.  What sort of other operations the contractor performed for which there
had been no citations of violation.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com
No there is no difference between universities and other contractors and I
didn't mean to imply there was.  I thought you might think so, and I stand
corrected.