Re[2]: What Should We Do With Plutonium Once Nuclear Weapons

     What were you thinking, Ruth?  Of course we can't do something like
     this, for three primary reasons:

     (1) It would remove the plutonium's availability for proliferation,
     since the Pu is irretrievably destroyed when you fission it to
     obtain energy (of course, opponents to MOX fuel cite
     'proliferation' as one of their main concerns, which completely
     defies logic as far as I can tell);

     (2) It would greatly shorten the length of time needed to store the
     radioactive by-products (since fission product half-lives are
     generally much shorter than the half-life of plutonium); this would
     have the negative effect of addressing one of the critics' primary
     complaints; and

     (3) We would obtain a great deal of useful energy without
     additional mining of raw materials or creation of greenhouse gases.
     This might lead to the possibility that 'plutonium' and 'benefit'
     could legitimately be used in the same sentence, which is, of
     course, unthinkable.

     Of course, a well-designed breeder program could also take all
     those U-238 atoms we also throw away and turn a large number of
     THEM into fuel as well, multiplying our nuclear energy resources
     many times over.

     I'll stop now...I can only deliver so much bad news in my one
     e-mail posting for the day.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com