Re: Why study baby teeth? -Reply

There is extensive monitoring data for the Oyster Creek Nuclear Power
Plant available at the New Jersey Department of Environmental
Protection's Bureau of Nuclear Engineering, just outside Trenton, NJ.  We
have made repeated offers of its availability to all interested citizens,
including some of those involved in anti-nuclear groups.  To the best of
my knowledge, no one has taken us up on our offer.

Under New Jersey statutes, we are required to hold one public meeting
per year on New Jersey's Radiological Emergency Response Plan for
Nuclear Power Plants in each county containing a portion of an EPZ for a
nuclear power plant.  I was the hearing officer for the Oyster Creek
hearing held in Toms River, Ocean County in July.  There were more than
20 state and local officials present, and a court stenographer.  One
member of the public attended and offered no comments or questions.

We have requested copies of the protocols for the Tooth Fairy Project
but have never received them.  Thus, we are unable to judge the
scientific quality of the work being done.

Gerald Nicholls
NJ Dept of Environmental Protection
609-663-7964

>>> "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl@earthlink.net> 08/11/00 08:15pm >>>
> In order to prove a link
> between the Sr-90 found in teeth and possible emissions from a plant,
> a good study should measure the strontium near the plant and in the
> food chain to the children.

Unless I am mistaken, all plants, prior to start-up, has to have a
PSAR, EIS and eventually a FSAR documented. The environmental
sampling would have defined the baseline for all future releases,
after start-up. Therefore, I would expect that there is a baseline
document that defines what the Sr-90 and other radioisotope
concentrations in and around the site were.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800)
548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205