Sr-90 in the environment

In a message dated 8/14/00 9:06:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu writes:

Norm writes:

<< As to Sr-90, the claim is that, since atmospheric nuke tests stopped in
the USA
 and Russia after the signing of the Partial Test Ban treaty, and that other
 countries, like France and China, stopped soon after (sorry dont\'t have
those
 exact dates), that Sr-90 levels should fall every year per the rate of decay
of
 Sr-90. But, starting the in 1980s, Sr-90 levels have not fropped any further
and
 have in fact increased. You can check all this at www.radiation.org
 So, the question is - where is the Sr-90 coming from? >>

Norm,  I checked the URL that you give above and could not find enough actual
data to provide confidence in the claim that is being made, that Sr-90 levels
have not dropped much since 1980.  I did find a few statements that are
false.  Before I get into those statements,  I will comment on your statement
above that Sr-90 levels should fall every year.  Sr-90 has a half-life of 29
years, so given the natural statistical uncertainty of measuring Sr-90 in the
environment, one would not necessarily expect declines every year because
when something has a 29 year half - life, the decline due to decay  in one
year is only about 2 percent and can be overwhelmed on a short time scale by
the uncertainty of sampling and measurement.  Now to comment on some of the
statements by Sternglass found on the Tooth Fairy homepage:

1. "The levels of Stronium-90 should have dropped down to near zero once
humankind stopped exploding nuclear weapons in the atmosphere. Instead the
levels stayed essentially the same as during the bomb-test years, or in some
areas they even increased."

My comment:  Sternglass does not explain what model he uses to conclude that
Sr-90 levels should have dropped down to near zero.  Considering radioactive
decay alone,  Sr-90 levels should have dropped by about 50% from 1965 to
1995. Inputs from Chinese testing and Chernobyl are minor compared to the
inventory present in the environment in 1965, shortly after Russian and
American testing ceased.
-----------
"After reaching a peak in 1963, Strontium-90 levels in the U.S. declined
steadily but did not disappear entirely due to ongoing French and Chinese
aboveground testing as well as releases from U.S. and U.S.S.R. underground
testing and from a growing number of civilian reactors. With the end of
French and Chinese tests in 1980, the projected rate of decline should have
dropped Strontium-90 levels to about 0.1 picocuries/gram by 1990, according
to Dr. Jay M. Gould...."

My comment: Gould makes a mistake here when he claims that Sr-90 did not
disappear entirely due to French and Chinese aboveground testing.  The
statement would be true only if it were limited to Sr-90 in the atmosphere
but it seems that in this context he is referring to Sr-90 in the general
environment.  Even without French and Chinese testing, there would still be
plenty of Sr-90 in the soil due to the Soviet and American testing prior to
the test ban treaty.  It is not clear how he arrives at the predicted level
of 0.1 pCi per gram since this is a greater decline than would be expected
from radioactive decay alone, if levels were 1 to 2 pCi per gram in the late
1950s in teeth.  Sternglass and Gould seem to be projecting a far greater
drop in Sr-90 in the environment and in teeth than can be accounted for by
radioactive decay alone. They do not make clear what other factors they are
invoking if any.

"The fact that we're finding numbers at much higher levels than we expected
indicates that the dangers from radiation in our diet were not eliminated
with the cessation of atmospheric bomb testing," Dr. Gould said.
"Strontium-90 is still persisting in the human environment."

My comment:  Gould seems to be setting up a strawman argument here, since no
well informed person would have expected that Sr-90 would be eliminated from
the diet until many years after the end of atmospheric testing.  It may
require 200 years or more for Sr-90 in the environment to reach undetectable
levels even if there are no new inputs.

"The RPHP researchers attributed some of the new radioactive fallout to the
accidents at the Three Mile Island reactor in Pennsylvania in 1979 and at the
Chernobyl reactor in Russia in 1986. In addition, they noted that state and
federal records show a large amount of officially reported airborne emissions
during the early 1980's from four nuclear reactors located in the vicinity of
Suffolk County, the area from which the majority of the RPHP teeth were
collected."

My comments: The above quote is nonsense.  I personally measured Chernobyl
fallout in Nevada after the accident and am aware of other measurements made
at that time.  By the time the fission products reached the United States,
most were at barely measurable concentrations.  Chernobyl fallout was
extremely minor in the United States, several orders of magnitude less than
that already present due to atmospheric testing.  To claim that it is a
significant and measurable source of Sr-90 in teeth shows their ignorance of
the topic.  In other publications they have made the claim that Chernobyl
fallout produced various adverse health effects in the United States.  That
claim is nonsense and one of the most stupid claims I have ever seen in
science.  Next time, Norm, I will tell you what I really think!