RE: FAA Inspection

In Message Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:10:37 -0500 (CDT),
  james.g.barnes@att.net writes:

>I am curious.  What is the regulatory mandate that would
>permit FAA to inspect a shipper using a transportation
>service such as FedEx or UPS?

   Anyone who ships any radioactive material requiring a yellow II or III
label must to so in a specification package (e.g., Type "A") and fill out a
Shipper's Declaration.  The package must be certified as meeting the various
tests mandated in the Department of Transportation (DOT) regs.  The shipper
must keep a copy of both the declaration and the package certification for a
year after shipment.  If it went by air, then the FAA has jurisdiction.
They inspect these records to see that you have them and that they are
properly filld out. This is, to my knowledge, a random check based on chance
or outside complaint (whistle blowing).  They do not regularly show up once
a year like the NRC.  Thanks for small favors!
William G. Nabor
University of California, Irvine
EH&S Office
Irvine, CA,  92697-2725