RE: Carbon Dose?

Tom,

I am not sure of the answer, but since no one else has tried then I will
take it on.

Back when I was working with a research reactor, we were looking at
radiation damage to silicon devices.  For that purpose, our dosimetrist (for
the experiment dose, not human dose) would use a dose unit of RAD silicon.
This was based on the dose that would deliver 100 ergs per gram of silicon
rather than our biological unit of 100 erg per gram of tissue.

In your case, I would likewise suspect that RAD carbon is just a dose of 100
erg per gram of carbon.  This would simply be based on a folding of the
incoming radiation spectrum with the energy absorption coefficient for
carbon, using the theoretical density of carbon.  This can be done for
neutrons or photons with the proper parameters, since the value of interest
is energy deposition.  Obviosly, no quality factor need be applied :-)

Hope this helps,

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own ...