Re: Gas pipeline safety- Radon-222 dose vs. holdup in transit??

I was able to locate the citation to the EPA document in question last
evening. It's citation:

Johnson, R. H., Jr., D. E. Bernhardt, N. S. Nelson, and H. W. Calley, Jr.
Assessment of Potential Radiological Health Effects from Radon in Natural
Gas. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Report No. EPA-520/l-73-004.
Washington, D.C.: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Radiation
Programs, 1973.68 pp.

What is relevent to radsafe's focus is that this document ended up estimating
radon dose to the US population [at then estimated average Rn-222 levels at
the point of use] in unvented applications and arrived at a large total
person-rem [TBE] and a goodly number of radon related lung cancer deaths per
year.

The use of natural gas and even propane and butane in domestic unvented space
heating and cooking applications is an energy related use that results in
radiation dose to real people, and theoretical deaths. What I'd like to see
[I've ordered the report] is what was the EPA's estimate at the time and cost
of reduction of dose and what value they ended up assigning to a hypothetical
fatality from lung cancer that justified their decision to recommend no
action to increase hold-up times on pipeline natural gas to domestic
end-consumers. And of course, how does this comparison of the EPA's
unacceptable cost of reducing radiation dose to consumers from an energy
related use like natural gas compare to the costs it has been willing to in
effect mandate in energy sectors like nuclear waste disposal? This is a very
relevant point considering the EPA's  push to reduce mildly elevated radon in
homes which it has now accepted as a significant issue, and the increasing
call to more and more natural gas use by many interests, not all fringe
anti-nuclear environmental groups.

I have read that with the increased national demand for natural gas,
suppliers are having a hard time keeping up with peak demands. I would
imagine that this reduces any holdup time from the point of extraction and
increases the average radon levels, but I have no recent data on this point.

Stewart Farber
email: radiumproj@cs.com