RE: Gas pipeline safety- Radon-222 dose vs. holdup in transit??

Group,

Some remarks/additions and queries wrt Rn-222 in Natural Gas:

   Most natural gas is stemming from pure natural gas wells. However, some
'gas' fields have high concentrations of higher alkanes (ethane, propane,
butane, etc.) as well. Under production conditions a mixture of the lower
alkanes (up to about octane) will be produced as liquid (so called natural
gas liquids - NGL). After fractionating Rn-222 mainly partions over the C2,
C3 and C4 products. Olefines like ethene, propene etc. never are found in
NGL. These compounds are only obtained after cracking of (higher) alkane
compounds. To my knowledge max. Rn-222 conc. reported in propane-fraction
900 Bq/L(liquid), leading to detectable (short-lived) external radiation
levels at the outside of installations and to (long-lived) contamination of
the inside of installations.

   Occupational doses from Rn-222 in NG in Gesell, Health Physics 29 (1975)
681, Public doses due to NG consumption in UNSCEAR
1977 20 micro-sievert/annum.

   I was not aware (but am interested in) of cavern storage of these gases.
Do you have a (traceable) reference to cavern storage as referenced to in
your mail?

   I do not understand your expectation why radon levels may now be much
lower than in the 70's. Can you please explain on which arguments your
expectation is build?

   Radioactive contamination of bottom sludge found in LPG rail transport
cars (up to 30 Bq[Pb-210]/g[sludge]) have been reported.

P.S. Please add your name and affiliation to future mails to the RADsafe
list.

Kind Regards, Gert Jonkers
ASA - Amsterdam Services Analytical 'Special Projects'
Shell Research and Technology Centre, Amsterdam (SRTCA),
http://www.srtca.shell.nl/welcome.html
PO Box 38000, NL-1030 BN Amsterdam, the Netherlands
tel.        +31 - 20 - 630 3424
fax        +31 - 20 - 630 2911
e-mail   Gert.G.Jonkers@OPC.Shell.COM