Re: high energy gammas?

I would suspect that you are seeing the N-16 gammas at 6.13 MeV (I = 0.69)
and 7.12 MeV (I = 0.05) and that your system energy calibration is off at
the high end (See RHH 3rd edition 1998, Table 8.6, page 8-35.

                    "Lieskovsky, Miro"
                    <MLieskovsky@nbpow        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    er.com>                   <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        Subject:     high energy gammas?
                    s.uiuc.edu

                    08/22/00 11:54 AM
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

Dear Radsafers:

I looked into the higher energy HP Ge spectra (< ~8MeV) collected around
'active' systems of a nuclear plant and found the following peaks that I
can
not associate with nuclides:

1) 7633 keV (+- ~2.0 keV) with its Single Escape @ 7122 keV and Double
Escape @ 6611 keV
2) 7647 keV (+- ~2.0 keV) with SE @ 7136 keV and DE @ 6625 keV

Additionally;
the following peaks @ ~7864 and 7978 keV were present; these are likely the
DE ones, however, since the system gain was only up to approximately 8000
keV. I can not confirm.  If true then the full energy gamma lines would be
@
approximately 8886 and 9000.

The above peaks do not appear to be due to the summation effect.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Miroslav Lieskovský
Health Physicist
NB POWER - PLGS
P.O. BOX 600