Re: "Typical" radioisotopes

Dear Colleagues,

    A  weeks ago, I don’t remember for what reason, I mention a very useful
IAEA TECDOC providing practical guidance on the predisposal management of
small quantities of waste arising from hospitals, laboratories, research
centers and industry, the IAEA TEC-DOC 1041 -- Management of small
quantities of radioactive waste, September 1998. Now a colleague asks for
"Typical" radioisotopes in different institutions, and got some answers.
On this subject, I think it is better to know not only  the simple name of
the radionucles, but  also the principal application, quantity per
application and the waste characteristics. Again I would like to refer to
the above IAEA document that have tables describing the principal
radionuclides, sealed and unsealed sources, used in medicine, biological
research, industry, and many other data.
Generally the IAEA TECDOC are free of charge, to those interested try the
IAEA Division of Public Information, E-Mail official.mail@iaea.org

Specifically to Nuclear Medicine, the IAEA BASIC SAFETY STANDARDS, Safety
Series 115, 1996, furnish at the Table III-V, pages 281 to 284, an extensive
Guidance levels for diagnostic in Nuclear Medicine, including the type of
test, the radionuclide, the Chemical form, and the maximum usual activity
per test.

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel