Re: CFC-114

I don't know about the CFC release volumes and so forth but I will say that
if you talk to a Meteorologist who's unaffiliated with a major news cult,
most of them will outright laugh about polar region Ozone Holes (depletion)
as a debacle created for and hyped by the media.  This is because:

1) They actually understand the science of how UV radiation creates ozone in
the atmosphere and
2) Would describe why the ozone is thinner at the polar regions since there
is less direct UV penetration (Trig 101) and
3) That if ozone is depleted allowing deeper UV penetration, more ozone is
created as a function of the penetration depth and concentration of Oxygen
and
4) They would indicate that they're not out trying to scare Hades out of
everyone to make a buck or create controversy by outright lying, unlike the
news media.

So.  I'm not at all surprised to see that the Merchants of Chaos continue the
pitch, you gotta make life and living dangerous otherwise they have no game...

As an aside I have heard the story that Dow (CFC Patent Holder) may have had
some influence in creating the Ozone Hole dramatization for the news media
because their original Freon patents were in expiration and they held the
patents for the replacement generation.  If true I suppose they were
exercising good business tactics for Dow by using the media as the mechanism
to sucker the politicians (which doesn't take much) and to cost me a lot of
money when the AC went out in my '87 Pontiac....  Come to think of it, the
Optometrists hype this also when they try to sell me that snakeoil (it's only
$25 bucks) for my glasses as UV protection.

Whether true or not, it'll be interesting to see what hazard the current
generation of Freon is purported to represent as it's 14 year patent cycle
nears the end...

Neil Keeney

NeilKeeney@aol.com