Re: Nuclear waste needs a home . . . someplace

> The notion of mined geologic disposal of spent nuclear fuel was not just
some scam dreamed up by DOE to dump on the State of Nevada.  It was a plan
arrived at after considerable thought and analysis

True, but the thought and analysis were all based on a seriously wrong
premise.  If we revised the assumptions to match the known facts about
radiation, the problem would be seen to be quite straightforward.  We assume
that keeping something from being eaten for thousands of years in an
unprecedented problem.  And then we dispose of elemental toxicants such as
lead, selenium, mercury, etc. that retain their toxicity undiminished
forever, and don't consider it an unsurmountable challenge.

Similarly for the transportation.  Of course it's not a hazard.  But the
people supposedly on our side, DOE, keep telling people it's an
unprecedented hazard, requiring extraordinary precautions--and that in spite
of those precautions, they are going to kill 23 people from the radiation
leaking through the shielding!  You can't win such a game.

If I believed the things we are telling people about LDR, I'd be on the
picket lines too.

Ted Rockwell