Bush and Gore on science issues

The current (13 October 2000, vol. 290, pp. 262-269) issue of Science has
editors of Science.

The only question directly related to nuclear energy was "Do you support the use
of Yucca Mountain as a site for long-term storage of nuclear waste?"

Gore responded that until the scientific analysis of Yucca Mountain was
complete, it would be premature to make a determination about its use as a
disposal site.  He said that he strongly supported the administration's fight
against legislation that would move waste into Yucca Mountain before the
analysis is complete.

Bush said that the decision should be based on sound science, not politics, and
said that he would respect the administration's current timetable of a decision
on Yucca Mountain before the end of 2001.  He said, "I oppose shipping nuclear
waste anywhere until all of the scientific studies at its destination site have
been completed."

I vaguely recall that the state of Texas opposed, during Bush's tenure as
Governor, a proposal to put some sort of nuclear waste site in West Texas.
Perhaps someone can refresh and/or correct my memory.

Both candidates responded to a question on global warming without mentioning
nuclear energy.  Gore did refer to "tax incentives for the purchase of energy
efficient and low-carbon energy supplies" and Bush supported "the development of
... alternative sources of fuel and new fuel alternatives."  I don't have the
sense that either had nuclear energy in mind.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine (and Bush's and Gore's) and have not been reviewed
and/or approved my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.