Re: Power Plant Pollution Linked to 30,000 Premature Deaths

The numbers ARE conservative.  But as Ruth pointed  out government and
media scrutiny insist on such conservatism, anyone in the emergency
planning field knows this.  These numbers are just as conservative as the
one used against the cigarette companies and the auto industry.  If all the
mortality rates quoted as gospel were absolute we would be tripping over
bodies where ever we go.  Does anyone REALLY think 20,000 people die daily
as a result of smoking?  If that were really the case we would have all the
tobacco companies up on murder charges, not looking for monetary
reimbursement.  These are statistics people, and as such they have
statistical error.  The point to be seen here is that FINALLY someone is
pointing the finger at fossil fuel.  That at least is something to cheer
about.

Phil

"My opinions, not the State's"

Actually, it's not so simple.  Any scientists involved are generally not
conservative (let alone ultra-conservative) of their own volition.  DOE and
EPA insist on it because they think the media will blast them if they are
not.  Certainly the anti-nukes will blast them.