Professional Training Programs - Oak Ridge Associated Universities

Professional Training Programs - Hands-on Training in the Radiological
Sciences

Upcoming Courses and Other Neat Stuff

Gamma Spectroscopy (just a couple of openings left) - November 13 - 17

Introduction to Radiation Safety December - 4 - 8

MARSSIM - January 22 - 26
Arrangements can be made for the MARSSIM course to be offered at your
site.  To discuss this possibility contact either Paul Frame at (865)
576-3388 or Eric Abelquist at (865) 576 3740.

All course attendees receive a free copy of PTP's CD Electronic Library
for Radiation Protection containing over 1500 documents organized by
title, subject area and the agency that produced the document. The CD
can also be purchased separately for the nominal price of $99.

To obtain detailed course information (including schedules)and/or
information about the CD
1. Visit our web site     http://www.orau.com/ptp/ptp.htm
   We now have on-line registration available!
2. Email our registrar at registrar@orau.gov, or
3. Phone our registrar at (865) 576 3576

Recently available neat stuff.

1.      The Institute of Physics Publishing is offering free access to
its Electronic Journals (e.g., Journal of Radiological Protection) from
now until 22 December 2000. http://www.iop.org/free2000/

2.      BEIR VI Health Effects of Exposure to Radon can be read on-line
at http://search.nap.edu/nap-cgi/getrecid.cgi?isbn=0309056454

        BEIR V Health Effects of Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing
Radiation can be read on-line at
http://search.nap.edu/nap-cgi/getrecid.cgi?isbn=0309039959

        BEIR IV Health Risks of Radon and Other Internally Deposited
Alpha-Emitters can be read on-line at
http://search.nap.edu/nap-cgi/getrecid.cgi?isbn=0309037972

3.      The FDA Routine Compliance Testing Procedures for Diagnostic
X-Ray Systems in PDF format can be obtained at
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/radhlth/diagnostic-x-ray.html

4.      Version 2 of the NRC's DandD software (A Code for Screening
analyses for License Termination and Decommissioning) is now available
for downloading at:
http://www.nrc.gov/RES/rescodes.htm

5.      NUREG 1575 (MARSSIM) has just been updated. The new version
(Revision 1) is available at
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/marssim/

Also note that Regulatory Guide 1.184 Decommissioning of Nuclear Power
Reactors was finalized in August.
--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee