Re: U.S. "expert" recently showed up Downunder

I knew Daniel Hirsch about 25 years ago when we were both members of the
same Amnesty International chapter in Los Angeles, California.  The
Committee to Bridge the Gap existed at that time and based on our
discussions at the time, my impression was that it was a small organization,
possibly with more words in the name than members of the committee.  I was
in my left-wing phase at the time and he was decidedly farther left than I
was.  At that time he had no scientific education and I remember providing
him with information on nuclear power based on my engineering education and
navy nuclear power training.  I remember later seeing that he had become the
director of the University of California at  Santa Cruz's Adlai Stevenson
Institute on Nuclear Policy.  My understanding at the time was that this was
a political science program as opposed to a technical or scientific program.
UC Santa Cruz is probably the most left wing of all the UC campuses.  It is
not known for its engineering or technical programs (if it has any).   I do
not know when or how Dan became a scientist,  I would be surprised to
discover that he is a scientist.  In our conversations, scientific or
technical pursuits did not seem to be an area that was of interest to him.
Perhaps he underwent a sea change, contrary to Al Gore's belief that a tiger
cannot change its spots.  He was a smooth operator, though.

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com
2910 Main St, PERRY OH 44081