Public Comments Encouraged

As previously posted on Radsafe, there is a proposed change to DOE Order
5400.5 available on the web for public comment (due by 12/4/00).

I would encourage all Radsafers, as taxpaying members of the public, to
review and comment on the proposed change.  It goes well beyond the scrap
metal recycling issue to include new requirements for all real and personal
property releases.  I am coordinating our official comments, and I don't
think it's appropriate to share those now on Radsafe.  I would just
encourage you all to make your own.

The public comment information and proposed change can be accessed at:
http://tis.eh.doe.gov/portal/home.htm

The official version of the change can be accessed at:
http://www.explorer.doe.gov:1776/htmls/draft.html, page down and click on
"5400 Series" (5400.5 will be the only one)

The current version of 5400.5, for those not familiar, can be accessed at:
http://www.explorer.doe.gov:1776/htmls/regs/doe/seriestable.html, click on
"5400 series," then click on "DOE O 5400.5"