RE: RADSAFE digest 3499

We have one of these current meters in our possession.  The device was used
to determine ocean current speeds and direction.  Some time ago, I did a
search on this device on the NRC website for Registry of Sealed Sources and
Devices in order to obtain source information and was able to find some
information regarding the sources it contains and their respective
activities.  As you may all ready know, the company is no longer in
existence. According to this website, the device contains 5 radioactive
sources of Pm-147, and according to the website, the total maximum original
activity was 995 microcuries.  The half-life for this radionuclide is
approximately 2.6 years though, so today there is only a very small amount
of radioactivity left.  I am attaching the web site location for you to look
at.  When you access this site, under the "B" category, double-click on the
Registry number for Braincon Corporation (it actually says Braincom on the
registry).  The website is a great resource for information and this
information may benefit others as well.

http://www.hsrd.ornl.gov/nrc/ssdr/ssdrindb.htm#B