RE: CHP Part 2

Nicholas,

I passed part II in 2000.  Here are some ideas that may be helpful.

Joe Bevelacqua's book "Contemporary Health Physics" is designed to help prepare candidates for  part II of the ABHP exam.  He also teaches a week-long prep course for part II.  It is usually advertised in the HPS Newsletter.  I recommend both the course and the book.

Schedule ample review and study time.  Work a lot of old exam problems.   Begin at least 4 months prior to the exam.  6 months is better.

When doing problems practice writing clearly and neatly.  Communication is key.  Clearly identify any assumptions you make in your models.

Bring a triangle or straightedge to the exam for reading graphs.  Bring an erasable pen that copies legibly.

Know how to use your calculator.  I found the linear regression function on mine helpful for quickly doing linear interpolation between data points.

Review part I type problems also.  They are still useful for part II.

Good luck!

Howard Wallace,    Health Physicist
Phone: (425) 393-9059        The Boeing Company
Fax:  (425) 393-3060            email: Howard.L.Wallace@Boeing.com