Re: Declared pregnancy question

Well, I was only going to share this information with Mr. Krause
but I changed my mind....
I actually feel fairly experienced enough to answer this question.
I am a Medical Physicist who worked in Nuclear Medicine during my
three children's pregnancies, was the Radiation Safety officer prior
to quitting work and becoming a mommy and now I have a consulting
business that specifically lectures on this subject.

My personal recommendations for pregnant Nuclear Medicine personnel who have
declared pregnancy in writing are:
-A review of the specific technologist's exposure history, including
bioassay's.  A review of work environment and
safety precautions.

-The preparation and administration of any radionuclide therapy dosages and
the subsequent care/imaging of the patient should not be permitted.
Administering radionuclide capsules or diagnostic dosages (less than one
mCi) should be permitted but should be minimized.

-Injecting dosages are permitted. Injection should not be permitted in the
rare instance where an unshielded injection is indicated (pediatric).

-Elution of generators should be evaluated by a Safety Expert.

-Daily Flood performance should be evaluated by a Safety Expert.

Also ... FYI ...In Nuclear Medicine, lead is not always a good choice for
shielding. The shielding is MINIMAL, and for
most Iodine work it would be next to zero.  And actually In fact, wearing a
lead apron when pregnant can become quite taxing. If it makes the mother
feel better, I suggest lying the apron across your lap when you sit.

These of course are only My recommendations, but if you
choose to use any these should be presented along with the lecture on:
ALARA concept (min. time, max distance, max shielding),
Reminder to NEVER eat, drink, smoke or apply cosmetics in areas where
unsealed sources are used, stored, or disposed.
Issue of a fetal monitors and how to wear properly,
Reduction of dose limits (at least here in USA),
Radiation biology including (gestational 8-15 week) reminder of increase
sensitivity.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Laura T. Smith, MS