Re: Deaths from fossil fuel burning air pollution

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Jerry Cohen wrote:

> I believe this tells us that those in seriously poor health may be
> "pushed over the brink" a little sooner than might otherwise occurred.

	--How did these people reach "the brink"? Why do you not think
that air pollution brought them there? Do you not believe that air
pollution weakens peoples cardiopulminary systems and makes people sick?
What does this? Is it only things we eat and not things we inhale? There
are lots of data showing increased hospital admissions and mortality
during air pollution episodes. Studies show decreased function of
pulmonary systems when air is polluted. There is a sizable scientific
community studying these issues -- why do you doubt their findings
without studying their work?

> I don't know how you would judge the significance of all this, but I would
> question whether "pollution" has any significant effect on a healthy
> population.

	--Of course air pollution doesn't kill healthy people suddenly. It
slowly degrades their health until they reach "the brink" and then the
next episode may kill them.