Re: Deaths from fossil fuel burning air pollution

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Jerry Cohen wrote:

> If you look at the data related to episodes of high air pollution such as at
> Donora, PA,  London, UK, etc. there is indeed a significant mortality
> increase during and shortly following these episodes. However, afterward,
> there is an observed decrease in mortality rate for a similar time period. I

	--The only data I know on this is from the 1952 London episode
that killed several thousand people in a few days. There is a plot of
mortality vs date on page 164 of the book by R. Wilson et al "Health
Effects of Fossil Fuel Burning". It does not show the effect you describe.
A month after the acute episode, the mortality rate was still well above
the expected average.