Re: I-131 treatment rooms

Just comments about principles on the Safe of Practices:

Components, structures and systems need to be classified on the basis of
their safety significance and to be designed and installed to a level of
quality commensurate with associated risks of various types, for
each particular facility, including environment.

The responsibility of the Regulatory Authority is to set safety
objectives and standards and to monitor and enforce license conditions;

The task of producing a safe design lies with the User's design
group and a separate User's group carrying out the need
to provide, by independent verification, that all safety requirements and
objectives have been met.

Since engineered system mail fail despite all careful precautions, it is
a basic design concept to provide the diversity of equipment, and, if
necessary, in this specific case, a separate drain pipe from the toilet of
I-131
treatment room to the main hospital sewer line.

However, it's important to fix the idea, that the task of producing a safe
design lies with the user, that needs to confirm that the design of the
installation will fulfill the safety objectives, before ask for a formal
 submission to the Regulatory Authority.

Regulatory Authority can't oblige the User to adopt a Safety System, if the
User has alternatives to present and to ensure that failures or combinations
of
failures that might lead to significant radiological consequences are of
very low
probability.

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il