commingling of functions/responsibilities??

Dear RADsafers,

In some countries, where we are operating, I encountered that the competent
national body regulating "NORM legislation" is identical to the (one and
only) "licensed company" actually carrying out NORM survey/decontamination
jobs. Moreover, this "company" is also the one and only resource for
in-field RPA services to be hired. For clarity I like to stress, that the
"company" meant is indeed identical to the regulating body and has not
legally been set free from this regulating body.

IMHO this is an unwanted commingling of functions/responsibilities. However,
my search for international documents more or less supporting this point of
view was (up to now) unsuccessful. Therefore, I like to borrow RADsafe
brains and like to ask your opinion on my point of view:
*	NORM regulating tasks should not be mixed with NORM commercial jobs
(severly depending on the NORM regulation issued).
If you agree, can you point me to international documents more or less
supporting this point of view?
If you do not agree, where have I been wrong?

Thanking you in advance for your reaction.
Kind Regards, Gert Jonkers
Nuclear Measurement Techniques / NORM HSE Expert
Analytical Services Amsterdam
Shell Research and Technology Centre, Amsterdam (SRTCA),
http://www.srtca.shell.nl/welcome.html
Badhuisweg 3, NL-1031 CM Amsterdam, the Netherlands
tel.        +31 - 20 - 630 3424
fax        +31 - 20 - 630 2911
e-mail   Gert.G.Jonkers@OPC.Shell.COM