Re: We are killing nuclear workers!

> There may be a legitimate issue here if enrichment plants,  which
had no programs for radiation protection because they normally do not
handle radioactive material (except uranium), did process radioactive
materials without instituting radiation protection measures. Does anyone
know if this was the case?

Friends:

I worked at an enrichment plant (Y-12 electromagnetic separation) at Oak
Ridge during the war.  In the chemical buildings, there was often a great
deal of uranium oxide on all horizontal surfaces (including the floor).
Three facts are relevant:

1) Radiation monitoring was strict and universally applied to anyone who had
access to the facilities where radioactivity was handled.  It was
sufficiently senstive to set off entrance gate alarms when someone tried to
bring in a Fiestaware coffee cup (with uranium glaze).  I saw it happen.

2) A number of studies comparing total mortality and cancer mortality of
badged and non-badged workers consistent showed the badged workers lower on
both counts.

3) Whenever I press DOE people on this point, they start talking about
fluorine, beryllium, etc.  They also cite examples of management
insensitivity in dealing with sick workers.  I have no comment on these
points.  I merely point out that radiation is repeatedly cited, unqualified,
as a cause of "radiation-induced cancers, of which 60% will be lethal."
That question can be evaluated without regard to the role of chemicals.

Ted Rockwell