Energy site & education

FYI: Ran across the following site by a chance:
http://www.swifty.com/apase/charlotte/nuclear.html#RISKS
It is at "Association for the Promotion and Advancement of Science
Education, APASE". Nuclear risks are summarized as:

"To understand the risks of nuclear energy, we need to know that uranium is
radioactive, which means that it constantly gives off energy in the form of
radiation. When plants, animals, or people are exposed to too much
radiation, they can be burned, become sick, or even die. When uranium is
mined, the leftover bits of uranium at the mine are harmful to plants and
animals in the area, and pollute the soil and water."

I find this level somewhat confusing, superficial, misleading and
disturbing although worse stuff can be found in various media (including
http://www.geocities.com/mothersalert/moreinfo.html etc) - but here the
agenda is "Advancement of Science Education". I doubt that a professional
with a deeper nuclear/radiation background has been involved. There are some
other passages where text adjustments wouldn't hurt. As I have written
before the disturbing part is that kids doing school projects etc find these
sites and they have no chance to filter out the relevant perspectives.
Therefore we need to help clean up this type of stuff in a polite way - with
the right facts - the kids could probably often even teach their teachers
something. I'll probably drop them a line.

The origin is Vancouver:  info@apase.bc.ca  web@apase.bc.ca (webmaster). The
address etc is:
APASE, 201-2929 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC V5N 4C8 CANADA
phone (604) 687-8712, fax (604) 687-8715
http://www.swifty.com/apase/charlotte/masthead.html

OK, and Merry X-mas and all that - thanks to everyone contributing here,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/