Re: Energy site & education

I share Bjorn's concern.  I'd also like to share with RADSAFE my experience
talking to my granddaughter's 4th grade class in seattle.  Now (not to brag
too much) these are the 100th percentile of fourth graders in Seattle, and
they are very bright.  I talked about ionizing radiation, the atom bomb
(because they are studying WWII), the transuranic elements, and I left them
a Geiger counter and some minerals and vaseline glass.  I held their
attention for more than an hour without a break (which is more than I can
say for some members of Congress).  To summarize some high points:

I asked at the start who could tell me what radiation is, and two children
said essentially "we don't know, but it's bad."  So I startled them by
saying it isn't "bad" or "good" but a phenomenon (yes, I used that word).
Good and bad depend on how it's used.  We talked about food irradiation and
tooth irradiation.  They asked lots of questions (and they can do mental
arithmetic, too).  In sum, I believe they were impressed with someone who
talked about radiation and even weapons as if talking about them were the
most natural thing in the world.  No expressions of horror, just
information.  Telling them what science is about: observing and recording
and analyzing.
the teacher was also delighted to see this approach.

I believe we should take every chance we get to do this.  No propaganda
(either pro or con), just description.  And believe me, if you know what you
are talking about, and enjoy talking about it, you will hold an audience
without "talking down" or, worse "dumbing down."  On a couple of occasions,
I made a mental shift to use a simpler word, but that wa all.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com