Re: Reaching APASE and people like them -- a reposting

>A current graduate of Reed College is required to take a full year sequence
of
>some science (chemistry, physics, or a biological science, including
>laboratory).  Depending on major, he or she might take quite a bit more
than
>that.  In addition, they must take a year of one of the "soft" sciences and
>year of either mathematics and formal logic or a foreign language.  I
suspect
>the graduation requirements were similar when Ms. Warren graduated from
Reed.

I know I sound like an academic elitist snob, but just having "taken" a year
of chemistry or biology, etc, could mean a lot or a little.  What were her
grades in these classes (does Reed give grades?)  What were the
qualification s of her teachers?  In my decades of teaching I saw, believe
me, lots of crummy students and  fair amount of crummy science teaching.  I
am somewhat familiar with basic science teaching at a couple of
undergraduate programs similar to Reed, and the qualityt of physical science
teaching varies greatly.

>Ms. Warren's bio raised for me the question  -- Why are those of us who
advocate
>a role for nuclear energy losing the battle for the minds of the Catherine
>Warrens of the world?

Because the John Gofmans and Marvin Resnikoffs of this world have a
glitzier, more appealing message, and some credentials to back it up, and
the APASE site is hardly the work of an intellectual giant.  I believe a
more important queston is: why have we (whoever "we" are) lost the John
Gofmans of this world?

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com
>I am reposting my earlier message about difficulties in reaching APASE,
because
>it was truncated by the RADSAFE "From" bug, causing the loss of some of the
most
>relevant information.

>science?":
>

>Ms. Warren's bio raised for me the question  -- Why are those of us who
advocate
>a role for nuclear energy losing the battle for the minds of the Catherine
>Warrens of the world?
>
>Best regards.
>
>Jim Dukelow
>Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
>Richland, WA
>jim.dukelow@pnl.gov
>
>These commenst are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
>management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.

Columbia
>University.  She has been living in Vancouver, BC for at least the last 5
years
>and working in area of new media.  She has written 25 books and magazine
series
>on science and computing for children and adults and has produced 15
websites.
>Her clients and corporate partners include CTV, Northern Telecom, BC Tel,
Sun
>Microsystems, Hewlett-Packard, and Microsoft, book, magazine, and web
>publishers, federal and provincial ministries, and universities and
schools.
>Much of her effort has been directed toward science education, with a
particular
>focus on science education for girls.
>
>During the years of (nee "From") 1996 to 1999, she was the Vancouver
Aquarium's