Science Curriculum at Reed College

I had answered Ruth privately, but with this continued discussion I feel
obligated to respond.  I am a graduate of Reed College.   The college runs a
traditional and rigorous science program.   Reed does not believe in
watering down courses- even for the non major.   For example it does not
offer Chemistry or Physics which is not calculus based.  In the first year
physics course there is a neutron activation experiment.  There is a 250 kW
reactor, which any student in good standing can participate in the licensing
process.

Reed is a small school, with excellent teachers.  While I was there (I do
not know the current status), it had the highest percentage of
undergraduates obtaining Ph.D. in the country.  Every student takes junior
qualifying exams and writes a thesis.

Ellen

Ellen Hochheiser, Ph.D. ,CHP
Radiation Control Office