Re: UV Lamps and Fingernails

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Rick Mannix <rcmannix@uci.edu>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Mittwoch, 03. Jänner 2001 23:37
Betreff: UV Lamps and Fingernails

>A lady on campus inquired whether there are any safety issues related to
>the use of UV drying/bonding lamps which are frequently used in the
>manicure business. Apparently, once the coloring gel is applied to one's
>fingernails, a UV lamp (blue light is emitted also) is operated to dry/bond
>the gel.
>
>Any safety-related information concerning these UV fingernail gel drying
>systems would be greatly appreciated.

In radiation protection we have a universally applicable and extremely
simple guidance: ALARA. I cannot recognize any benefit from colouring nails
or even extending them artificially. Attractiveness? Poor men, who are
attracted by coloured nails....... Poor women, who have to colour their
nails to find a man...... If your lady is afraid of UV - why doesn't she
avoid it? I would even save her a lot of money. If she still wants to colour
her nails, there are thousands of shades available, which do not need UV.

I have visited this morning my dentist, who saved me from a terrible bill
for replacing a tooth by repairing it with a special formula which obviously
included not only silicates, but also a special plastic formulation which
would harden with UV. Until now I do not have the sensation of having a
sunburn in my mouth. I never had this before. My dentist seems not to have
been affected by the UV-radiation - especially since he seems to have used
it several thousand times before (also on me).

If you intend to communicate my message to this lady - I trust, you will not
use the same sarcastic word that I used..........

Franz

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schoenhofer;Franz
FN:Franz Schoenhofer
ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Department of Radiation Protection
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19
TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331
TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08
ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=0D=0AA-1031 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=0D=0AA-1160 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at
REV:20010104T182949Z
END:VCARD