Re: We are killing nuclear workers!

Hi Ruth,

The HWE is that SMRs of workers are higher compared to the general population
because the general population includes people who are too sick to work.

If you think about it, it is somewhat stretching this to apply to cancer
(considering the long latency period, but people with weak immune systems get
more cancer), especially when the object of the study is that workers are
being exposed to the "cancer risks" of the carcinogenic work place.  In fact,
studies of workers in high cancer risk conditions, have an SMR >1.0 vs. the
general population.

Let me know if you want some I-net links to abstracts, or just go to PubMed
and do a search.

Here's an interesting paper by the current Chair of BEIR VII :-)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3723215&dopt=Abstract

Workers (rubber workers?) vs. fire fighters, and others have SMR >1.0 vs. the
general population.

The studies of the actual basis for the HWE are very limited!  If it could be
quantified, the rad protectionists wouldn't be able to say that an SMR of 0.6
is just the HWE! :-)

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net