Re: Thalium Stress Test

Kelly:  Many of your questions have already been answered by others on this
list.  As someone who formerly suffered from angina, I can say that
breathing cold air is a possible trigger for the pain of angina.  Perhaps
this person's physician wants to investigate the most life threatening
cause of the pain first.  Having had the procedure performed on me, I can
say from my perspective that the dose received from the test is
inconsequential.  The information obtained is of great value in diagnosis
and treatment.  Hence, a benefit to dose ratio was close to infinity for
me.
This is solely my own opinion.
Bill Goldsmith
Radian Remediation Services
865.220.8265
bill_goldsmith@urscorp.com

                    GRAHNK@aol.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    Sent by:                  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        cc:
                    s.uiuc.edu                Subject:     Thalium Stress Test

                    01/08/2001 11:23
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

OK,
Here's one for all you medical folks out there.  One of my people (40 year
old male) had a 3 week bout with pneumonia last year.  This year when
exposed
to cold outside air (0 degrees and below) he has experienced some central
(sternum) chest pain that goes away when he doesn't breathe the cold air.
He
doesn't have any history or family history of cardiac illness.

His family practice physician (not a cardiologist) has ordered a thalium
stress test.  He's been asking me and we're both wondering why?  It's not
clear what the doc is looking for.

Does this make sense from an ALARA perspective?  Is there an alternate
diagnostic procedure that doesn't involve radioactive material?  i.e. echo
or
stress echo

If he proceeds with this procedure what might his expected dose be?

Thanks

Kelly Grahn
Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety
West Chicago Field Office