RE: Thalium Stress Test

Thalium 201 (and not thallium 210) and technetium 99m are used to perform
myocardial perfusion imaging. [201Tl] thallous chloride was almost
universally employed for the detection of ischaemia.

Traditionally, [201Tl] thallous chloride is injected (i.v.) at peak exercice
and the exercice continued for a further minute. The activity administered
is 60-80 MBq (2 mCi) and the effective dose equivalent is 15-20 mSv (1850
mrem).

Of the 99mTc 2-methoxy-isobutyl-isonitrile (SestaMIBI or MIBI) and
diphosphene Tetrofosmin have been most completely evaluated. Tetrofosmin is,
however, easier to prepare than MIBI. The activity administered is 400 MBq
and the effective dose equivalent is 8 mSv (800 mrem).

There is now considerable evidence for the utility of both 201Tl and the
99mTc labelled agents in the detection of coronary artery disease.
Sensitivity and specificity are generally accepted to be of the order of 80%
and 90% respectively, and are generally superior to exercice
electrocardiography. In addition to the detection of coronary disease,
important information is available about the site of ischaemia and extent.
I'm radiopharmacist and not physician but for your friend I think that the
stress test can be useful because he has experienced some central chest
pain. But I'm not really worried : your friend is young and I understood
that the pain is not constant. So don't worry !

"These are my opinions and my opinions only!"

Jean-René Jourdain