Re: Thalium Stress Test

I just reread this thread.
I like to add my two to three cents worth based on my background in medical
research and in radiation safety.
1.    Better to consider and rule out a possible coronary than to ignore the
possibility.  Pneumonia could mask or precipitate cardiac problems.  Family
history does not guarantee the absence of heart problems.  Heart attacks can
and do occur at age forty.
2.    My sources indicate that 1 to 2 mCi of thallium-201 are injected
intravenously.  The half life is 73 hours but since most is excreted with the
day, the effective half-life is much less than 73 hours.  Not really a
radiation problem.
3.    I doubt any cardiologist would diagnose on the basis of one test.
Usually several diagnostic modalities would be used.
4.    In my opinion, the physician acted appropriately.

Jane P. Bragg, Ph.M.(Biology), RRPT