Re: Apologies to Joel Cehn (Re:DU gammas)

In a message dated 01/09/2001 8:44:04 AM Central Standard Time,
HDOLDEW@sandia.gov writes:

As Joel Cehn and Hans Oldewage rightly point out, I often put keyboard in
motion before brain is engaged. In this one case however, I not have done so.
I did point out that there were 7 Gammas and 5 Betas in the emissions. I
would think that the 2.3 MeV Beta might make a good "pointer".  My objection
to the experts is on "panicking" when a Geiger goes off and condemning DU as
a threat. The Gammas are too weak for panic, and you know how easily shielded
the others are. So, my point is: it's the toxicity (of this and all heavy
metals), NOT the radioactivity that makes DU any type of hazard. (p.s. all
armor-piercing shells contain heavy metal, don't