Re: Croatia: Green eggs & eight legged piglets

This story was already pointed at by Patrick Meyer about 3 days ago. I
apologize for the duplication. I am just getting mentally prepared to meet
it in our media. As a kid I one day picked about 80 four leafed clovers, 20
five leafed ones and one seven leafed clover from the same field and proudly
showed my parents. This was around 1958 far away from any NPPs or fallout
areas. (the Latin name is "Trifolium..." - three leaves but the plants don't
know that).

As anyone knows who is truly interested in nature there is always a
variation and occasionally one may find extremes. Take Prunella vulgaris
(the botanical species - not the bird with the same name) that is so common
in many European lawns - if these are cut the plant may flower at a height
of only 2 inches (5 cms) whereas if the vegetation is dense they have to
fight for sunlight and become two feet tall (>60 cms). I think that these
stories sell to many who grew up in cities and never took the time to
closely look at the natural variation. Go to old museums and you may find
two headed calves from the time before X-rays were known. The broader public
should know about this (not to mention some politicians).

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com