RE: Record US gas prices breathe life into nuclear power

Interesting bit of economics.

In 1999, the latest available full-year data, production costs (outlays for
fuel and operations and maintenance) at nuclear power plants averaged 1.83
cents per kilowatt-hour (kwh).  This was lower than coal at 2.07 cents/kwh
and far lower than oil-fired plants at 3.18 cents/kwh.  Production costs for
natural gas plants were 3.52 cents/kwh.

In 1998, average production costs for coal-fired plants were 2.07 cents/kwh,
with nuclear power plants at 2.13 cents/kwh, oil-fired units at 3.24
cents/kwh and natural gas plants at 3.3 cents/kwh, according to
Washington-based Utility Data Institute (UDI), a division of the McGraw-Hill
Companies (UDI did not incorporate the past year's spikes in oil and natural
gas prices in the full-year data).