Re: birth defects in the children of Gulf War Vets [FW] -Reply

Retrospective studies such as looking exclusively at an affected population
are inherently biased.  It is like going to Sloan-Kettering and visiting
the breast cancer patients to conclude that being a woman causes breast
cancer.  This is a  classical type I I statistical error.

The research groups are difficult to access:

     1.  vets who served
     2.  vets who were immunized as group 1 but were not exposed to DU
(i.e. perhaps they were in Saudi the whole time, or served on a ship)
     3.  vets who were prepped to go / but did not make the trip

The male/female susceptibility is a separate issue.  There are so many
iterations to the scenario, that DU has to be the only thing that was
different if we want to make valid comparisons.  This makes the groups
smaller than one would wish for statistically-based conclustions.

Just a couple of thoughts,

Lorraine Day PhD
day@lsu.edu

"Thomas J Savin " <tjsav@lycos.com>@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu on 02/01/2001