Re: Hormesis?

Jerry Cohen wrote:

Why is it so difficult for people to believe the a radiation exposure can
simultaneously produce both harmful and beneficial effects?  The net sum of
these effects can, depending on dose level and individual susepibility, be
either good or bad.

------------------------------
I agree.  It is becoming an article of faith that radiation will kill you or
cure you.  Both camps are staking out a position and "be damned" if you
disagree.  Part of the problem is that our regulations of low levels of
exposure are based on the LNT.  (That theory part is always lost in the
arguement.)  In practice, no adverse affect has been seen in any population
below 100 mSv.  (If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let me know.) That is
threshold we should consider as a starting point, not zero.  The study of
synchronized cells, mice with implanted human tumor, etc., are of scientific
interest, but are they useful for regulatory purposes?

The idea of radiation at some level bestows health to me is a bit shaky.
Could the treatment be a placebo effect?  How long have the patients been
followed to verify that a the cure has occurred?  Biological varibility
would suggest that some people will live long lives and some will die an
"early dealth."  I am sure we have all heard stories of patients who have a
miraculous remission of a cancer or infection.

-- John

"Beware of zealots.  They lack humor."

John Jacobus, MS, CHP
Health Physicist