Re: Hormesis?

Radsafers,
Thanks for several comments to my query, implying the same, namely
simultaneous detrimental as well as beneficial effects, obviously as a
function of dose.  I think an important and valid question is whether the
two effects are coupled or uncoupled.  Bernie seems to imply that the two
are coupled and the benefit will therefore cancel the detriment (at least
in a certain dose range).  However, should the effects be weakly- or
un-coupled, the detriment can persist with a certain probability and result
in a 'stochastic' effect in due course.   Do we understand the mechanisms
well enough to decide?  My own thoughts.
Chris Hofmeyr
chofmeyr@nnr.co.za

You wrote:

                    Bernard L Cohen
                    <blc+@pitt.edu>           To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    Sent by:                  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        cc:     (bcc: Christoph Hofmeyr/CNS1)
                    s.uiuc.edu                Subject:     Re: Hormesis?

                    2001/02/09 17:01
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Christoph Hofmeyr wrote:

> Radsafers,
> Forgive my bit of agitation/frustration/confusion.  On the one hand we
have
> opinions, based on certain observations, and stated forcefully, that
> radiation (quite a bit) is potentially good for you, and on the other
hand
> the assertion, based on other observations, that one gamma-photon or
alpha
> may cause cancer.  Where on earth does the truth lie?

           --There is no inconsistency in these two statements. One
particle
of radiation *may* initiate a cancer, but it also *does* stimulate
production of repair enzymes, stimulate the immune system, etc which may
protect against a cancer that was caused by something else. These two
effects have to be added to determine the result.