Re: Hormesis?

Although I didn't follow the complete discussion. If there are beneficial,
effects they can be due to the activation of a specific group of genes
which expression result in the "beneficial effects" observed with different
types of radiation. This expression can be the so-called stimulatory
effects that after the exposure will last for a specific period and can be
specific for a cell type, an organ or even the mitochondria and ribosomal
apparatus.

The complexity of the process can be due to different genes activated by
different radiations. If this is the case, hormetic effects can result in
the increase of the incidence of cancer?

Willy A. Valdivia
Plant Sciences Dept.
North Dakota State University

--On Tuesday, February 13, 2001 12:46 AM -0600 Christoph Hofmeyr